EA Negotiations: The essential steps for Business Professionals (Virtual)
“A practical, informative course delivered by trainers with real industry experience. This course not only provides you with key information, but you walk away with a new found confidence in the bargaining process as a result of role plays and shared experiences. Highly recommend this course to any HR practitioners looking to expand their knowledge and skill set around the bargaining process”.
Natacha Razavi, Workplace Relations and Systems Manager, EACH
"Thank you Adelhelm & Associates Australia for providing MSS Security with the virtual training program on enterprise agreement negotiations. The content of the training was interesting and valuable, and coupled with the activities and virtual role plays, made the training extremely engaging. I was surprised at how seamlessly it was delivered virtually. Personally, I learned a lot from the training, and recommend it to anyone looking to increase their knowledge on enterprise agreement negotiations."
Felicity Wood, HR Business Partner, MSS Security
This workshop caters for a maximum of 8 people.
Delivered from 9:00 am - 3:00pm (AEDT) over 2 days, this comprehensive and practical workshop, provides attendees with an A-Z overview of EA Negotiations in Australia.
Suitable for all levels of management requiring both basic and intermediary EA negotiating knowledge and skill, this training is delivered live by our experienced negotiators. After attending this workshop, novice negotiators have successfully delivered their first EA!
A step-by-step guide covering:
- A practical method and template for all preparation and planning
- Technique for selecting the best person for a specific negotiation
- How to build the Business Case/Negotiating Mandate and obtaining sign off by the Executive or Board
- A select overview of tactics and behaviors and how best to respond to these
- A high-quality workbook incorporating the above points and more
Each organisation that registers for this course receives a free one-hour Laser Consult with one of our specialist consultants valued at $495!*
*valid for 3 months from training dateRegister For Workshop
A general and practical, A – Z overview of EA Negotiations in Australia. Suitable for all levels of management requiring both basic and intermediary EA negotiating knowledge and skill. After attending this workshop, novice negotiators have successfully delivered their first EA!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Persons responsible for investigating, planning and preparing the organisation for upcoming EA negotiations
- All levels of management, from all disciplines, requiring a detailed and practical overall understanding of current EA negotiations in Australia
- First time or inexperienced EA negotiators
- An organisations nominated negotiating team to review their planning, business case, approach, strategy & tactics before going live!
Session 1: 9:00 am to 12 noon
Collective Negotiating Principles & Practices
- Detailed overview of the ritual followed by unions when negotiating with employers
- Understanding the interaction of external influences on the bargaining process
- The collective psychology vs the role of the individual
- Why the positional & adversarial negotiating model is still the most commonly used. What other options exist?
- Preparation & planning and how this differs substantially between unions and management
- Who are the key players and what essential attributes are required to be successful
- A realistic and practical risk assessment process before starting negotiations
The Law – Negotiating under the Fair Work Act
- Good Faith – what is this and how has it developed since 2009
- Legal requirements, process and procedures
- Know your legal options during negotiations
- Protected and unprotected industrial action – what recourse does the employer have
Session 2: 1:00 pm to 3:00pm
Planning and getting ready for negotiations
- Selecting a winning team
- How to develop a detailed business case which ensures common clarity of purpose
- Getting the costing and financials right and establishing organisational priorities
- Practical rules and process for managing the negotiations encounter
- When and how to exchange and cost claims
- Communications strategy and tactics both internally and externally – who is responsible for what
- A method and sample document for analysing and costing union claims
- A technique for evaluating the real power of each party before commencing negotiations
Let the negotiations commence
- A method for prioritising union claims
- Understanding the interactive structure for the opening phase of negotiations
- Where to open and when to make concessions
- An overview of the unique communications process when in negotiations
Session 1: 9:00 am to 12 noon
The negotiation encounter
- The behaviours and tactics that ensure you maintain maximum control of the process
- A review of the most common tactics used by unions and how you can respond to each
- Tactics to pressure you, wage tactics, surface bargaining tactics and other traditional union bargaining tactics
- Which of the four negotiating styles work best in a specific situation
- Techniques for dealing with hostile or confrontational behaviour at the negotiating table
Reaching the end and settlement
- Tactics and behaviours which facilitate closure
- The procedural obligations in approving a collective agreement and what pitfalls to avoid, including submitting your document to Fair Work
- A practical and simple process for changing your current negotiating framework
Session 2: 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Practical negotiations – what really happens?
- A practical and very realistic simulation, which allows participants, as part of a group, to test and experiment with the new techniques and methods learnt
- Both groups are guided and coached by an experienced negotiator throughout. This happens in a relaxed, friendly, no-stress environment!
Please note, the workshop program may be subject to minor content and session order changes.
VIRTUAL TRAINING POLICY
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS
- To take part in this training, all participants must have a reliable internet connection with the ability to support video conferencing
- The video conferencing platform is determined by Adelhelm and Associates and all links to the sessions will be provided
- The training has a Camera On, Sound On Policy. This is an interactive training between all participants and the facilitator, and also involves break out discussions and exercises in smaller groups. As such, learnings can only be fully achieved when all participants engage in the training via video link.
- This is a safe, facilitated training environment. All participants must treat each other with respect and courtesy. Where case studies and exercises call for experimentation with negotiating behaviours, de-briefing will be conducted by the facilitator.
- The workshop is supported by a workbook and various training materials that will be sent in advance to the participant. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure they have all the provided materials accessible during the training.
The training builds sequentially over the sessions building practical learning on theoretical content, case studies and group work. As such, learnings can only be fully achieved when all participants engage in each session. The training is not designed for partial or drop-in, drop-out attendance
The 100% money-back guarantee! In the event that Adelhelm is not able to present
a specific workshop, or booked individuals are travel restricted, due to changing
COVID-19 alert levels, affected persons may choose to attend a future workshop within
12 months from date of original workshop date or receive a full refund.
- In the event that Adelhelm is not able to present a specific workshop, due to factors outside of their control, a 50% refund shall apply or alternatively individuals may choose a full credit to attend a future workshop within 12 months from date of the original workshop date
- Adelhelm shall not be liable for any hotel or travel costs incurred due to cancelation.
Can’t see what you want? Contact the team to discuss a fully-customised in-house training option.